Taiwanese tech beast Asus has officially unveiled the successor of ROG Phone 5 which is the ROG Phone 5s Pro. However, these gaming-focused smartphones come with minor updates over their predecessors. With these new phones launched, Asus took a lead over any other gaming smartphone in the market.
It packs an FHD+ AMOLED screen with support for a 144Hz refresh rate, the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 888+ chipset, and up to 18GB RAM. It also packs a 360Hz touch sampling rate – the highest among all the phones available in the market right now.
However, the ROG Phone 5s Pro is merely a refresh of the original 5 Pro released earlier this year and as such, it swaps the Snapdragon 888 for the plus variant and adds two more gigabytes to the memory configuration going up to 18GB now. There’s also a small upgrade in the display department, and it should feel even more responsive with an industry-leading 360Hz touch sampling rate.
Even though the upgrade isn’t big, the ROG Phone 5s and 5s Pro remain competitive with some standout features such as the 144Hz display, precise software tuning of the powerful hardware, handy air triggers, huge 6,000 mAh battery supporting 65W fast charging, and one of the best audios on a phone.
Asus ROG Phone 5s Pro specifications
- Body: 172.8×77.3×9.9mm, 238g; Glass front (Gorilla Glass Victus), glass back (Gorilla Glass 3), aluminum frame; Pressure sensitive zones (Gaming triggers), Touch sensor; ROG Vision monochrome PMOLED display (on the back).
- Display: 6.78″ AMOLED, 1B colors, 144Hz, 360Hz touch sampling rate, HDR10+, 800 nits (typ), 1200 nits (peak), 1080x2448px resolution, 20.4:9 aspect ratio, 395ppi.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888+ 5G (5 nm): Octa-core (1×2.99 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680); Adreno 660.
- Memory: 512GB 18GB RAM; UFS 3.1.
- OS/Software: Android 11, ROG UI.
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 64 MP, f/1.8, 26mm, 1/1.73″, 0.8µm, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 13 MP, f/2.4, 11mm, 125˚; Macro: 5 MP, f/2.0.
- Front camera: 24 MP, f/2.5, 27mm (wide), 0.9µm.
- Video capture: Rear camera: [email protected], [email protected]/60/120fps, [email protected]/60/120/240fps, [email protected]; gyro-EIS; Front camera: [email protected]
- Battery: 6000mAh; Fast charging 65W, 70% in 30 min, 100% in 52 min (advertised), Reverse charging 10W, Power Delivery 3.0, Quick Charge 5.
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (under display, optical); NFC; 3.5mm jack.
Asus ROG Phone 5s Pro storage
This phone comes with an incremental update and the biggest difference is the addition of the latest flagship chipset – Snapdragon 888 Plus. The ROG Phone 5s Pro comes with 512GB UFS 3.1 storage.
The phone comes with a huge 6.78-inch full-HD+ (1,080×2,448 pixels) panel. This display panel used in this phone is a Samsung AMOLED E4, which is protected by the Corning Gorilla Glass Victus for any scratches or smudges.
The fact that the display on this phone comes with a 144Hz refresh rate, 1ms response time, 360Hz touch sampling rate, and 1200 nits of peak brightness, which makes it ideal for gaming.
Asus ROG Phone 5s Pro design and display
The ROG Phone 5s Pro adopts a ROG Vision Color PMOLED display. The ROG logo at the back is also RGB backlit. The display is protected by the Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection.
Asus ROG Phone 5s Pro features
The ROG Phone 5s Pro runs on the latest Android 11 OS with ROG UI. The phone features dual SIM support (nano + nano) and packs dual 7-magnet Linear 12x16mm front-facing speakers with GameFX & Dirac HD sound powered by dual Cirrus Logic CS35L45 Mono AMP. It also comes with Quad microphones with OZO Noise Reduction Technology. There is also a 3.5mm audio jack for those who would love to plug in a wired gaming headphone.
Furthermore, the phone utilizes an in-display fingerprint sensor, ultrasonic sensors for AirTrigger 5, and grip press detection. It also comes with support for Bluetooth 5.2, GPS, GLONASS, Beidou, and NFC. Under the hood, the ROG Phone 5s and 5s Pro pack a 6000mAH battery with 65W HyperCharge fast charging via USB Type-C port.
Asus ROG Phone 5s Pro cameras
For photography, there is a 64MP rear camera with a Sony IMX686 sensor, 0.8μm pixel size, f/1.8 aperture, paired with a 13MP 125˚ ultra-wide camera with f/2.4 aperture, a 5MP macro sensor with f/2.0 aperture. For selfies, there is a 24MP front-facing camera with 0.9µm pixel size and f/2.0 aperture.
Asus ROG Phone 5s Pro price and availability
The ROG Phone 5s Pro is available in a single variant of 18GB + 512GB configuration and is priced at TWD 37,990 which translated to $1,365. The 5s Pro will be available in Phantom Black color only. The Pro version also bundles an AeroActive Cooler 5 in the box. The models are already on sale in Taiwan and will start shipping from August 24.
At The End
The ROG Phone 5s Pro is a gaming beast and an ideal handset for gamers around the globe. Moreover, it gives upgrades like Snapdragon 888+ by which it can compete with the top-notch phones in the market. Also, you can make decent photos and videos with the 64MP main camera. Overall, it is a gaming-focused phone with almost all the features to be an ideal flagship smartphone.