Android is an open-source Operating System. It means that all types of customizations are possible by flashing or installing any third party files such as custom ROMs or root access. These actions such as rooting a phone, downloading custom ROMs, flashing any custom firmware, or installing a custom recovery can be done with the help of tools such as the ADB and Fastboot tool. This tool is compatible with any Windows platforms, just read our guide below on how to install ADB and Fastboot tools on Windows and you will be good to go.
What is ADB?
ADB stands for Android Debug Bridge. This tool makes it possible for you to transfer files between your PC and your Android phone. It is also conceived as a debug utility for the Android Software Development Kit (SDK). The ADB tool can be opened by using the command prompt on Windows. Users can perform special functions by sending terminal commands from the PC to the computer. ADB also proves very helpful in rooting your phone or while Flashing new or custom firmware on your Android phone.
What is Fastboot?
It is a diagnostic utility that is used to customize the Android Operating System using a PC. It is used to write data directly into your phone’s flash memory. The Fastboot tool can be used when the phone is booted in Fastboot or Bootloader mode and connected to your PC using a USB cable. Using the Fastboot tool, you can flash a boot image file for any application or unlock your device by bootloader, etc.
Advantages of ADB and Fastboot tool
ADB and Fastboot tools bring a lot of advantages to the users. That is why users prefer to use them to modify their Android phone’s system and flash files on their phones. Some of the advantages they bring are listed below:
- It can run on any Android device
- It supports both Windows and Mac Operating System platforms.
- It can be used to install custom ROMs
- It can be used to flash a custom recovery
- It can be used to install Root
- It can be used to Unlock / Relock the device bootloader
- Remove bloatware from your phone
Set up ADB and Fastboot on Windows and Mac OS
Setting up ADB and Fastboot on your PC is really simple. You only need to download the SDK which is about 500 MB in size. You just need to download the Android SDK package as both the tools are a part of it. Then you just need to set up path variables. Apart from that, you can just follow the method mentioned below to install the appropriate ADB and Fastboot drivers on your PC. But before that, you need to make sure that your device is in USB Debugging Mode, and even before that, you are required to enable the Developer Option on your mobile phone. This is to make sure that your PC would be able to recognize your device.
How To Enable Developer Options And USB Debugging On Android
Supported Windows Versions
The ADB and Fastboot tools are compatible with Windows versions[7, 8, 8.1, 10] for both the processors, 32 bit, and 64 bit.
Download ADB and Fastboot Tool
Below, we have mentioned the different installation links for different versions of the ADB and Fastboot tool.
15 Second ADB Installer:
The credit for this goes to senior XDA member, Snoop05
Minimal ADB and Fastboot Tool
- Version 1.4.3 (Latest): Download Here | Portable Version
- Version 1.4.2: Download Here
- Version 1.4.1: Download Here| Portable Version
- Version 1.4: Download Here
- Version 1.3.1: Download Here
- Version 1.3: Download Here
- Version 1.2: Download Here
- Version 1.1.3: Download Here
Android SDK platform Tool
The credit for this goes to shimp208
How to Install ADB and Fastboot Tool
Above, we have mentioned 3 different ADB and Fastboot tools. We suggest you to either download the Minimal ADB and Fastboot tool or use the official Android SDK platform tool.
Install 15 Second ADB installer
We have listed below the simple steps to install the 15 second ADB installer:
- First of all, you have to download the 15 second ADB installer set up file by XDA member Snoop05, from the link given above. Apart from installing ADB, it also installs ADB and Fastboot drivers in as soon as 15 seconds.
- After the download is complete, run the ADB installer.
- Now you need to respond with either Yes (Y) or No (N). Type ‘Y’ if you want to continue with the installation of the ADB and fastboot driver.
- You need to type ‘Y’ once again to install the device driver. This will probably take a few seconds to install the device drivers and after that, the command window will close itself.
- Congrats, ADB, and Fastboot are successfully installed on your PC.
Install Minimal ADB and Fastboot
- First of all, you need to download the Minimal ADB and Fastboot tool executable installer package.
- Double click it and start the installation
- Sometimes, a new pop up window comes up to ask for your permission, you need to give it permission by clicking ‘Next’.
- Now keep on clicking the ‘Next’ button to keep advancing. When it asks for the location of download, you may change it.
- Now, you just need to click on ‘Finish’ to complete the installation.
- In case when you have ticked the selection box for launching Minimal ADB and Fastboot, you will see this window to start the terminal commands.
Following this guide, you will be easily able to install ADB and Fastboot tool on your PC.