In this guide, we will show you how to fix the problem where Google Maps is showing the wrong location on your device. Google Maps is a very well-known application that helps you navigate and find places using the best routes available.
It is no doubt the best in what it does, but it is not perfect and sometimes users have to face some issues. One of the most common problems faced by users is the one where Google Maps is showing the wrong location on your device.
Google Maps is Showing the Wrong Location
The problem where Google Maps is showing the wrong location on your device could be due to many reasons. The explanation for the issue could be anything from incorrect location settings to a problematic GPS.
So in this guide here, we will be discussing some possible fixes to fix the Google Maps is showing the wrong location issue on your device.
1. Enable High Accuracy in Location
One way to fix the issue could be to enable High accuracy in location. With High accuracy turned on, Google Maps can pinpoint your location more precisely. You can enable High accuracy by following the steps given below:
- First up, proceed to the Settings app on your device and head over to the Location menu.
- Here, you will be able to see the list of applications that have been granted access to the Location permission. Select Maps and then turn on the toggle for the Use precise location.
2. Turn Off Battery Saver
When you turn on the battery saver on your device, some of the features on your device that consume higher power are turned off. These features include background app data and the GPS on your device.
This could prevent the Google Maps application from showing you the correct location. So if Google Maps is showing the wrong location on your phone while your battery saver is turned on, you should turn it off.
- Head over to the Settings app and proceed to the Battery section.
- Here, turn off the Battery saver mode.
3. Calibrate Your Compass
The Google Maps application uses the magnetometer sensor to determine your location more accurately. If Google Maps is showing the wrong location on your device, then it is a good idea to calibrate the sensor. In order to do so, follow the steps given below:
- First, start the Google Maps application on your device. Now tap on the blue dot that indicates your location.
- Once done, tap on the Calibrate compass option available at the bottom of the interface. Now follow the on-screen instructions and perform the gestures to calibrate your compass.
4. Clear Cache Data
If you are still facing the ‘Google Maps is showing the wrong location’ issue, then you should try clearing the cache data. The Google Maps application stores a lot of cache data for quicker processing, but the cache data can sometimes interfere with the app’s performance and could very well cause issues such as the one at hand. So in order to clear cache data on your device, follow the steps given below:
- Head over to the Settings app on your Android device and proceed to the Apps and Notifications section. Now scroll down until you find Google Maps on the list of applications and tap on it.
- Tap on Storage and select Clear cache.
- Now restart the application and check if the issue still persists.
5. Disable Mock Location
Mock location is a feature found in Android devices that users can use to fake their location. Some users use this feature for security purposes and other reasons. It may be possible that Mock location is enabled on your device.
To solve the ‘Google Maps is showing the wrong location’ problem, you should try disabling Mock location on your device by following the steps given below.
- Open up the Settings application on your device.
- Now proceed to the About Phone section.
- Here, you will see the Build number of your phone. Tap on the build number seven times to enable Developer options. You will know that they are enabled when you see the “You are now a Developer” message on your device.
- Now open the Settings app again.
- Proceed to the Developer Options menu.
- Scroll down to the “Allow Mock Location” toggle and turn it off.
6. Reinstall Google Maps
If none of the above-mentioned above methods works for you, try uninstalling and reinstalling the Google Maps application. This will remove any data that the app has stored on your device.
If Google Maps is showing the wrong location on your device, then we hope that the above-mentioned methods worked for you. We hope that you found this guide helpful. Let us know what you think in the comment section below.