Android 5.1.1 Lollipop released for the Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 with GPE (Google Play Edition) custom ROM. This amazing ROM comes with the stock Google kernel which is pre-rooted and many other features have also been added in this ROM like option to move apps to SD card. According to users, the Android 5.1.1 GPE Lollipop custom ROM is stable, fast and smooth. If you want to update Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 to Android 5.1.1 GPE Lollipop custom ROM then follow the given instructions to get this GPE firmware.
Keep in mind that this is a custom ROM which is not officially released by Samsung, so you’ll be required to have a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP in order to install the ROM .zip file on your phone. However, in this guide we’ll use CWM recovery but all you need to have a rooted device with a custom recovery installed but also don’t forget to take backup first.
Now check out the highlighted features of the ROM:
Android 5.1.1 GPE Lollipop ROM Features:
- Stock kernel
- init.d support
- External SD permissions for app’s added
- World phone unlocked
- Worldwide APNs
- App ops
- Long press recents
- Lockscreen carrier label alignment fixed
- USB debugging notification disabled
- Tethering unlocked for most carriers
- Nexus UI sounds
- SuperSU integrated into Settings
This guide containing the Android 5.1.1 GPE ROM and instructions can be used only with the Galaxy S4 LTE I9505. Check the model number of your device first by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
AndroidBlog will not be held responsible for any kind of damage or mishap occurred to your Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 during or after the installation of Android 5.1.1 Lollipop GPE custom ROM. Proceed at your own risk.
- Make sure that you’ve taken proper backup of all your important data and settings on your device before proceeding to the installation of this custom ROM using a recommended custom recovery like ClockworkMod recovery. In case anything goes wrong then you’ll be able to restore your data.
- Enable USB Debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure that you’ve properly installed USB Drivers for the Galaxy S4 I9505 on the PC.
- Your Galaxy S4 should be rooted with the latest version of CWM recovery already installed.
- Verify the battery level of your Galaxy S4, it should be charged at least about 80% before going ahead to the installation instructions to prevent unexpected shutdowns while the firmware installation.
- Download Android 5.1.1 GPE ROM
Steps to Update Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 to Android 5.1.1 GPE Lollipop:
Follow the given step by step guide to update Galaxy S4 with Android 5.1.1 Lollipop:
1:- First, download Android 5.1.1 GPE custom ROM (jflte-gpe-20150919-zip) for Galaxy S4 (I9505) on the desktop of the PC.
2:- Plug your device to the PC using its USB data cable and mount its USB memory storage.
3:- Transfer Android 5.1.1 GPE ROM .zip file which you’ve already downloaded from the above link, to the root folder of your SD card on the phone.
4:- Unplug the Galaxy S4 (I9505) from the PC and power it OFF in order to boot into Recovery Mode.
5:- Power ON the device while pressing and holding Volume Up +Home + Power buttons at the same time to enter into Recovery Mode.
6:- While your device is now in CWM Recovery, perform wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache also by navigating to Advanced > Wipe Dalvik Cache.
Note:- wipe dalvik cache will help you to prevent boot loops and other errors while ROM installation.
7:- Go back to the main Recovery Menu and choose install zip from SD card → choose zip from sdcard.
8:- Navigate to the Android 5.1.1 GPE custom ROM .zip file which you’ve already transferred to the SD card of your device previously. Select the ROM .zip file using the Power button and confirm the installation to begin.
9:- Navigate to +++++Go Back+++++ once the installation is completed. From Recovery Menu, reboot your device by selecting reboot system now.
Your Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 will be rebooted and may take about 4 to 5 minutes to boot for the first time after installation.
Done! You’ve successfully updated Galaxy S4 I9505 to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop via GPE custom ROM.
Let us know in the comments area below if you have any question or trouble while installing GPE Android 5.1.1 ROM featuring on your Galaxy S4.