We are sharing a detailed guide on how to install Android 8.0 Oreo on LG G6. Upgrading LG G6 to the latest Android OS version is currently possible with LineageOS custom ROM. LG will soon push out the stock Android 8.0 Orea (Over-The-Air) for LG G6 but if you can’t wait for the official release, then still being an advanced Android user, you can taste the sweetness of Oreo by installing Lineage OS 15.0 custom ROM. This ROM is based on Android 8.0 Oreo which is developed by those of XDA-developers – you can access the official thread from this link. Many users have tested and found it stable enough for a daily use. As the LineageOS 15.0 Android 8.0 Oreo custom ROM has not announced by LG or Google so you may face some minor issues but you will be able to smoothly use all the Lineage OS features, apps, and processes.
The firmware is clean and quite light so you can get a pure Android experience on the LG G6. Once the ROM is installed on your phone, you will be able to experience different tweaks that cannot be found on the official firmware and your phone will run fast as well as your LG G6 should offer better as compared to the previous Android OS version. Create a proper backup of your important data like SMS, Emails, Contacts, Call Logs and Media Files etc before proceeding to the installation guide as your phone will be wiped clean. As you know that installing a custom ROM is an unofficial operation so must root your LG G6 first and the latest version of a custom recovery such as TWRP or CWM should be installed on it to flash the Android 8.0 Oreo LineageOS 15.0 custom ROM and Google Apps package.
This guide containing the Lineage OS 15 Android 8.0 Oreo Custom ROM is working with the LG G6. Do not try to install this ROM on any other device, or your device might get bricked.
AndroidBlog will not be held responsible for any damage occurred to your LG G6 during or after the installation of Lineage OS 15 ROM. Proceed at your risk.
- Make sure that the battery level of your LG G6 is at least about 80% before moving to the installation guide.
- Download and install proper USB Drivers for the LG G6 on PC.
- It is highly recommended to take a proper backup of your important data and settings on the phone using a custom recovery such as CWM or TWRP. In case anything goes wrong then you’ll be able to restore your data.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on One Plus One from Settings > Developer Options.
Hint: you can enable Developer Options on LG G6 by tapping repeatedly, for 7 or 10 times, on Built Number – while tapping on this field you will get the ‘you are a developer’ message.
- Your phone should be rooted with the latest version of CWM or TWRP recovery installed.
- The bootloader of your phone should be unlocked.
How To: Install Android 8.0 Oreo on LG G6 via Lineage OS 15.0 custom ROM
Step 1: Download the Lineage OS package based Android 8.0 Oreo build and Google Apps package for your LG G6 from the above links on the desktop of your PC.
Step 2: Turn OFF your LG G6 in order to boot into Recovery Mode.
Note: Wait while this shut down process is completed.
Step 3: Now, reboot recovery mode on your LG G6 by following the given steps.
- Powering OFF your phone.
- Press and hold the Volume Down key.
- While pressing the Volume Down key press and hold the Power button.
- Keep pressing these keys until the LG Logo is displayed.
- Release the Power button for a moment and then press it again.
- Keep pressing these buttons until the recovery mode is displayed on your LG G6.
Step 4: Once the device is boot into Recovery Mode, initiate a wipe from Recovery Menu by selecing “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
Step 5: Reboot your phone into Android mode.
Step 6: Connect your LG G6 with your computer use the USB cord.
Step 7: Transfer the downloaded firmware and Google Apps zipped files into the root folder of your SDcard of your phone.
Step 8: Remove the USB data cable and navigate to Recovery Mode again.
Step 9: Tap on Install and load the Android 8.0 Oreo firmware file and swipe in order to begin the flashing process.
Step 10: Finally, install Google Apps package by repeating the last step.
Step 11: Once the installation is finished successfully, from recovery choose ‘reboot system now’.
Done! You have successfully installed the latest Android 8.0 Oreo LineageOS 15.0 Custom ROM on your LG G6.
Tell us in the comments section below if you are facing any issues or have queries while following the above guide.