The latest Android Lollipop 5.0.1 update has been released for many new Android devices, but it doesn’t mean that users are having old devices like Samsung Galaxy S Plus GT-I9001 can’t enjoy the Lollipop 5.0.1. Galaxy S Plus is a little specs phone having 512MB of RAM, 1.4GHz processor and it was released in 2011. Here’s good news that CyanogenMod 12 Alpha ROM featuring Android 5.0.1 Lollipop build is now available for Samsung Galaxy S Plus GT-I9001, thanks to recognised XDA developer Christopher83.
If you are interested in experiencing the Alpha CyanogenMod ROM based on Android 5.0.1 on your Galaxy S Plus, then follow the given step by step guide to Install Android 5.0.1 (LRX22C) on Galaxy S Plus I9001 with Alpha CyanogenMod 12.
It can be considered a highly functional build with almost all working features. Since this custom build is still in its alpha stage, so there may be some bugs, and you cannot install it as a daily driver, but developers are still working on it to fix bugs and release a stable version.
- Call UI is slow when starting/receiving a call
- Video recording at 720p quality may cause a force close of Camera app, so use 480p quality until this issue is fixed
- Some new CM apps could force close because they are still in development
- Many CM 11.0 features are not merged inside CM 12.0 yet; CM Team is still working on this new release
- Receiving and making calls
- Hardware sensors (Light, Orientation, Compass, Proximity, Acceleration)
- Legacy sensors / Virtual sensors (Gravity, Linear Acceleration, Rotation vector)
- USB mass storage
- HW accelerated GUI
- HW accelerated video
- VoIP video calls
- USB/Wifi tethering
- Phantom key presses filtering
- USB OTG (check here for the needed Y cable)
Not Working Features
- Power-off Charging animation
DroidGuides will not be responsible for any damage or lose occurred into your Galaxy S Plus during the installation process. Proceed at your risk.
Note: – This guide is only applicable for the Galaxy S Plus model I9001. Flashing any incorrect variant might brick your device. You can check the model number of your device from Settings > About Phone > Model Number.
- It is highly recommended to take a proper backup of all your sensitive data such as your SMS, MMS, Settings, Call Logs, Contacts and other files, etc. (using Titanium Backup or other apps available on PlayStore) before starting the installation process.
- Your Galaxy S Plus should be rooted.
- The New TWRP Recovery should be installed on your device for this ROM, which includes new partition assignments.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options.
- Your Galaxy S Plus should have above 70% of battery charge.
Download New TWRP Recovery (TWRP_184.108.40.206_GT-I9001_Repartitioned_20141212_Signed.zip)
Download CyanogenMod 12 Alpha ROM (cm-12-20141215-UNOFFICIAL-dev_connection_team-ariesve.zip)
Download Gapps (gapps-lp-20141109-signed.zip)
Steps to Install Android 5.0.1 (LRX22C) on Galaxy S Plus I9001 with Alpha CM12:
Step No 1: – First, download the New TWRP Recovery, CynogenMod 12 and Gapps on your PC from the above links.
Step No 2: – Now connect the Galaxy S Plus to the PC via its USB cable.
Step No 3: – Transfer the downloaded files to the root of external microSD card of the device.
Step No 4: – Turn Off the device to boot it into Recovery Mode.
Step No 5: – Turn On the phone while pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power buttons at the same time.
Step No 6: – While your device in now in Recovery Mode, perform a Nandroid Backup here. Then navigate to:
TWRP Recovery Menu → Backup → Select all the partitions → microSD card as storage → Swipe.
Step No 7: – Next, install new TWRP which you have already downloaded. It has new partition assignments.
Step No 8: – Once again reboot your device into TWRP Recovery. The new TWRP recovery will appear.
Navigate to TWRP → Home → Reboot → Recovery
9: – In Recovery Mode → Perform a full data wipe as an EXT4 partition.
Select Wipe → Advanced Wipe → Data → Repair / Change File System → Change File System → EXT4 → Swipe.
Step No 10: – Perform Wipe Dalvik Cache, Cache, System and Android Secure (Navigate to Wipe → Advanced Wipe)
Step No 11: – Navigate to the main menu of Recovery and install the CM ROM Package.
Step No 12: – Then flash the Google Apps (Gapps) package.
Step No 13: – Reboot the phone once the installation process is finished. Your Galaxy S Plus may take half an hour, so wait while the phone is rebooting.
Done! You’ve successfully updated your Galaxy S Plus with the CynaogenMod 12 ROM based on Android 5.0.1 LRX22C.