The highly-anticipated Android 6.0 Marshmallow has been released by Google yesterday. This latest Android OS version is available via OTA (over-the-air) that comes with build number MRA58K for various Nexus devices including Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 7, Nexus 9 and Nexus Player and Nexus Player but the Nexus 4, Nexus 10 and the Nexus 7 2012 are yet to receive this Google’s latest Android update. Recently, Nexus devices received Android 6.0 developer previews, then the factory images and now the OTA updates have been rolling out for these devices.
You can check the updates by navigating to Settings > About Phone > Software Information/Updates manually and tap on updates option. But if the Android 6.0 Marshmallow MRA58K update is not currently available in your region then we have a step by step guide on how to update Nexus 5, 6, 7, 9 and Nexus Player devices to Android 6.0 Marshmallow MRA58K factory images. The OTA updates have been created into zip files and you can install them using a stock recovery or adb sideload method.
This guide containing the firmware download files and links and instructions can be used only for the above mentioned Nexus devices. Do not use this guide for any other device or incorrect variant. Check out the model number of your phone first.
AndroidBlog will not be held responsible for any kind of damage occurred to your Nexus device before or after the installation of Android 6.0 Marshmallow MRA58K update. Proceed at your own risk.
- It is highly recommended to take a proper backup of all your important data and settings on your Nexus device before proceeding to the installation guide.
- Enable USB Debugging option on your phone/tablet from Setting > Developer Options. If the Developer Options is not available then navigate to Settings > About Phone > Tap the build number a few times to enable.
- The bootloader of your Nexus phone/tablet should be unlocked. To check bootloader type the “adb reboot bootloader” command. Go to device’s bootloader and check if it is in locked state. If the device is locked, return to the bootloader screen and enter “fastboot oem unlock” command.
- Download Android SDK as it is required that ADB tools should be installed already on your PC.
- Make sure that your Nexus device is visible on PC. To check this type and enter “adb devices” command. If your device is appeared then go ahead, otherwise not.
- Download and setup ADB and Fastboot drivers on your PC. (Windows and Mac)
- Nexus 5: hammerhead-mra58k-factory-52364034.tgz
- Nexus 6: shamu-mra58k-factory-5b07088c.tgz
- Nexus 9 WiFi: volantis-mra58k-factory-cc430962.tgz
- Nexus 9 3G/LTE: volantisg-mra58k-factory-de7a6ff6.tgz
- Nexus 7 2013 WiFi: razor-mra58k-factory-300dc903.tgz
- Nexus 7 2013 3G: razorg-mra58k-factory-7221a6d9.tgz
- Nexus Player: fugu-mra58k-factory-61ac65bc.tgz
Steps to Flash Android 6.0 Marshmallow MRA58K Factory Images on Nexus Devices:
1:- First, download the exact Android 6.0 Marshmallow MRA58K update file and extract it on the desktop of your PC using 7-zip tool.
2:- Turn OFF the Nexus device in order to boot into fastboot mode.
3:- Turn the phone/tablet ON by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power buttons at the same time until the screen turns on and Fastboot logo appears on it.
4:- Now, connect your Nexus device to computer using its USB data cable.
5:- Open the folder where you have extracted the factory image on your desktop in Step No 1. Run the flash-all.bat file.
Linux / Mac users should enter this command
Done! You have successfully installed Android 6.0 Marshmallow update with build MRA58K on your Nexus device.
Let us know in the comments area below if you have any question or query while installing the MRA58K Android 6.0 Marshmallow on your Nexus phone or tablet.