Good news for Nexus 4 users, now you can install latest OS on your Nexus 4. The Android 7.1 Nougat Nitrogen Custom Firmware is ready to install on your phone. Google/LG will not announce the official update of Android 7.1 Nougat for these phones, so if you want to test the latest OS on this your Nexus 4, then you can install this Custom Firmware. Googe has not released Android 7.1 Nougat Nitrogen OS officially but a custom ROM which would require a custom recovery like ClockworkMod to flash the ROM zip file on your phone.
Many users have tested this ROM and found it very stable and smooth. If you are interested in installing Android 7.1 Nougat Nitrogen OS Custom ROM on Nexus 4, then go ahead and follow the given guide to get all of the exclusive features of Android Marshmallow like Enhanced Snooze type and lots of system tweaks.
- Make a proper backup of all your important existing data on Nexus 4.
- The stock Marshmallow OS version should be installed on Nexus 4.
- Download and install USB drivers for Nexus 4 on your computer.
- The Nexus bootloader should be unlocked.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- You Nexus 4 must be rooted, and the latest build of either CWM or TWRP Recovery should be pre-installed on it to flash a brand new Android 7.1-based custom ROM.
- For this firmware installation, you will also need to factory reset the phone.
- Finally, ensure that your Nexus device carries more than 70% of charge.
Please note that this guide can be used only for the Google Nexus 4 devices. Don’t use the firmware file given in this guide for any other device or incorrect variant. Do note that you will experience some force close errors while running this Nougat firmware on your Nexus 4.
- Download Nitrogen Android 7.1 custom ROM file from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 7.1 ROMs from here.
Steps To Install Unofficial Nitrogen Android 7.1 Nougat Custom ROM on Nexus 4:
Step No 1: – Download Nitrogen Android 7.1 custom ROM (Nitrogen-OS-mako-20161102.zip) and Gapps for Android 7.1 ROMs from the above links given on the desktop of your PC. (Make sure to select the Android 7.1 OS version) while downloading Google Apps package.
Step No 2: – Connect the device to your PC and copy/paste both files to the phone’s internal storage. Do not unzip the files.
Step No 3: – Disconnect the phone from PC and turn it OFF to boot into Recovery Mode.
Step No 4: – Turn ON the phone while pressing and holding Volume Up + Volume Down + Power buttons at the same time.
Step No 5: – While your Nexus 4 is in Bootloader / Fastboot main screen, press Volume Up to enter into Recovery mode. Then press Power to boot the Recovery Mode.
Step No 6: – Once in Recovery Mode, make an NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM by navigating to ‘backup and restore’. Then set the file name and confirm process to begin the backup.
Step No 7: – Next, Factory Reset Nexus 4 and proceed to flash the Android 7.1 custom ROM.
Step No 8: – In CWM Recovery, select ‘install zip from sd card’, then ‘choose zip from sd card’. Find the Android 7.1 custom ROM file and confirm the installation process to begin.
9: – Once the Android 7.1 firmware installation is completed, repeat the above steps to flash the Gapps zip on your Nexus 4.
Step No 10: – After installation is successfully finished, reboot the device in normal mode.
Step No 11: – Finally, flash the SuperSU Stable from here to get root access to the internal file system of your Nexus 4 to remove the factory restrictions and permission to install tonnes of third-party apps.
Let us know in the comments area below if you have any issues or queries while installing this custom ROM on your Nexus 4.