Galaxy S5 users have some good news that a new stock Android 5.1.1 firmware update has been pushed by Samsung for these smartphones. This Android 5.1.1 based firmware update comes with build number G900W8VLU1COI4 which is now available for the Canadian variants of Galaxy S5 SM-G900W8. If you have Canadian Galaxy S5 then navigate to About phone > Software Updates to check the OTA updates as almost all of the Galaxy S5 variants have been receiving the latest firmware update via OTA. But as you know that the updates are rolling out in phases globally so if you are from any other region and have not received the OTA update notification yet then don’t worry you can still update Galaxy S5 with the same update that has been pushed by Samsung manually with the given step-by-step guide.
Ready to get Android 5.1.1 Lollipop firmware update on Galaxy S5? Go ahead and follow the given guide. In this guide we’ll use Odin flashing tool to flash the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop stock firmware .zip file on Galaxy S5. Additionally, this OI4 build brings many bugs fixes, improvements and stability to these handsets.
|Model name||GALAXY S5|
|Build date||Fri, 11 Sep 2015 08:59:55 +0000|
This guide containing the G900W8VLU1COI4 Lollipop 5.1.1 firmware files can be used only with the Galaxy S5 Canada SM-G900W8 variant. Check the model number of your device first before proceeding to the installation guide.
DroidGuides will not be held liable for any kind of damage occurred to your Galaxy S5 SM-G900W8 during or after the installation of G900W8VLU1COI4 Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. Proceed at your own risk.
- Make a proper backup of all the existing data and settings of your Galaxy S5, in case anything goes wrong then you’ll be able to restore your data back.
- Download and install the correct Galaxy S5 USB Drivers on the PC.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on your S5 by navigate to Settings > Developer Options > check the USB Debugging option.
- If you have a custom ROM installed on the phone, then after the installation of the stock update it will be lost.
- The custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
- If the Galaxy S5 is rooted then after installing the official firmware, it will no longer belong to a rooted version.
- Check the battery level of your Galaxy S5, it should be charged at least about 80% before proceeding to the installation guide.
- Download G900W8OYA1COI4_KDO (Koodo Mobile)
- Download G900W8OYA1COI4_BWA (SaskTel )
- Download G900W8OYA1COI4_VMC (Virgin Mobile)
- Download G900W8OYA1COI4_BMC (Bell Mobile)
- Download G900W8OYA1COI4_RWC (Rogers)
- Download G900W8OYA1COI4_TLS (Telus)
- Download G900W8OYA1COI4_FMC (Fido Mobile)
- Download Galaxy S5 OI4 Update for Other Carriers
- Download Odin3 v3.10.7
Steps to Install Official Android 5.1.1 Firmware Update on Galaxy S5 SM-G900W8 (Canadian)
1:- First, download the G900W8OYA1COI4 Android 5.1.1 Lollipop firmware (G900W8VLU1COI4_G900W8OYA1COI4_xxx.zip) file and Odin tool (Odin3_v3.10.7.zip) for your Galaxy S5 on the desktop of the PC from the above given links.
2:- Extract the Android 5.1.1 firmware file to get .tar.md5 extension and also extract the Odin .zip file as well.
3:- Turn OFF the Galaxy S5 to boot into Download Mode.
4:- Turn ON the phone by pressing and holding Home + Power + Volume Down buttons at the same time.
5:- Launch Odin3 v3.10.7 on the PC (as Administrator).
6:- As the Galaxy S5 is currently in Download Mode, connect it with PC and wait for a while till Odin detects it. If the drivers are installed correctly then the ID: COM box will turn light blue and “Added” message will be appear in Odin after phone is connected successfully.
7:- In Odin, click on the AP button and navigate to the firmware file that you’ve already extracted (G900W8VLU1COI4_G900W8OYA1COI4_xxx.tar.md5) and placed on the desktop of your PC.
8:- Ensure that you’ve checked Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time options and the Re-Partition option must be unchecked.
9:- In Odin, click on the Start button to begin the installation process that may take a few minutes to completed.
10:- Once the flashing process is finished, the Galaxy S5 will be automatically rebooted.
10:- Disconnect the device from the PC after the home screen appears.
Done! You’ve installed the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop G900W8OYA1COI4 stock build on the Galaxy S5 successfully.
In case of bootloop issue after the installation of this firmware:
- Remove the battery and put it back again.
- Boot to Recovery by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home + Power buttons altogether.
- In Recovery, select “wipe data/factory reset” > select “Yes” to wipe all data.
- Select Reboot to System.
Let us know in the comments area below if you need any help or having trouble while installing this Android 5.1.1 stock Lollipop firmware on your Galaxy S5.