Nexus 6 was one of the first lucky devices that received the latest Android 7.0 Nougat few month ago, but now these devices are getting updates on the monthly basis, and the most recent one is NBD91U Android 7.0 Nougat which is targeted towards December. These builds don’t come with significant changes but can be supposed to prevent any sort of security breach and maintain your experience. It is highly recommended to update your Nexus 6 to avoid any security mishaps, although there are not noticeable changes. If you want to install Android 7.0 NBD91U on Nexus 6 using Official Factory Image automatically then navigate to the OTA (Over-the-air) update servers as they have already started pushing this build but if for any reason you are not able to find it there then go ahead and follow the manually step-by-step guide to flash Android 7.0 NBD91U Nougat firmware on Nexus 6.
Keep in mind that, in order to flash a factory image, you’ll need to unlock your bootloader before proceeding. Also, make a proper backup of your existing data, in case anything goes wrong then you’ll be able to restore your data back. Your entire data will be wiped clean just like a brand new phone while flashing this Android 7.0 Nougat factory image.
This guide containing the Android 7.0 NBD91U Official Factory Image is working with only Nexus 6 devices. Do not try to flash this firmware on any other device or incorrect variant.
AndroidBlog.gs will not be held responsible for any kind of damage occurred to your Nexus 6 during or after the installation of Android 7.0 NBD91U Factory Image. Proceed at your own risk.
- Make a proper backup of all your important existing data on Nexus 6.
- ADB/Fastboot must be configured and properly installed on your PC.
- The stock Marshmallow OS version should be installed on Nexus 6.
- Download and install USB drivers for Nexus on your computer.
- The Nexus bootloader should be unlocked.
How To Unlock Your Bootloader:
- Turn off your phone or tablet.
- Hold down the power button and the volume down button.
- On your computer, open Command Prompt (Windows) or Terminal (Mac). Navigate to the folder with Platform tools.
- On your computer, type:
./fastboot flashing unlockin a terminal or command prompt.
- Press volume up button and the power button on your device to confirm bootloader unlock.
- On your computer, type:
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
How To Enable Developer Settings and USB Debugging:
- Tap OK on the dialog box asking you to Allow USB debugging while connected to the computer.
- Plug your Nexus device into your computer.
- Check Enable OEM unlock.
- Make sure that the developer options are turned on and that USB debugging is checked on.
- Click for the Developer options.
- Open Settings, and you should find a new option called Developer options.
- Tap on the Build number seven times until the dialog box says you are now a developer.
- Scroll down to About Phone/Tablet.
- Go to your Nexus’ Settings.
- Finally, ensure that your Nexus device carries more than 70% of charge.
Download Android 7.0 Nougat Factory Image
How To Install Android 7.0 NBD91U on Nexus 6 Using Official Factory Image:
Step No 1: First, download Android 7.0 Factory Image (shamu-nbd91u-factory-1aca1562.zip) on the desktop of your computer for Nexus 6.
Step No 2: Now, plug your phone to the PC using its USB data cable.
Step No 3: Ensure that Fastboot is configured and installed on the PC correctly. How to Set Up ADB and Fastboot with Android SDK.
Step No 4: Power OFF your Nexus 6 to boot into Fastboot/Bootloader Mode.Turn OFF your phone.
Step No 5: Power ON the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power keys at the same time until the Fastboot menu appears.
Step No 6: Unzip the firmware file on your PC, that you have already downloaded and placed on the desktop of your PC.
Step No 7: Go to the folder shamu-NBD91U and then copy/paste all the files to your Fastboot directory.
Step No 8: Run the following command (depending which Operating System you are on) from the factory image files in your Fastboot folder:
9: The flashing process of stock factory image on your Nexus 6 will be initiated. Wait for the installation process to be completed successfully.
Step No 10: Once the installation completes, your Nexus 6 will boot, and it may take about 4-5 minutes to boot for the first time.
Done! You have successfully installed the official Android 7.0 NBD91U Nougat update on Nexus 6 using the Google’s stock factory image.