If you want to root your android device or perform any other tricks or tweaks, you can use a custom recovery like TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project). In the following step by step tutorial, I shall guide you how to flash a custom recovery like TWRP to your mobile.
However, you must note that first, you need to unlock your phone’s bootloader. This has been explained in detail in this article.
Before you start the process, make sure that you have ADB (Android Debug Bridge) which will enable your computer to interface with your phone. You will also need the USB drivers for your phone.
Also, make a backup of all the data on your phone, be it your photos, documents or other important stuff. This process is not really supposed to wipe out the data on your phone, but it is better to be on the safe side.
You May Also Like:
Now let’s get started:
- Open ‘Settings‘ on your phone, tap on ‘About Phone‘. Scroll down and tap seven times on the ‘Build Number‘ option. You will see a window prompting that you are now a developer.
- Go back to the ‘Settings‘ page and you will see a new option added to the list, called ‘Developer Options‘. Select it. Now enable USB debugging. Enter your PIN or password if asked.
- Connect your phone to your computer. Tick the checkbox on your phone ‘Allow USB Debugging‘.
- Now go to Teamwin’s website, go to the Devices page and search for the TWRP downloads available for your device.
- Download the TWRP image. Copy it in the folder where you have ADB installed and rename it to
twrp.img. Renaming it will make the command on command prompt easier.
- Now you need to boot into your phone’s bootloader. Though the steps would be a little different for every phone, they will mainly ask you to turn off your phone. The boot into fastboot mode. On the majority of the devices, you can boot into this mode by pressing the ‘Power‘ and the ‘Volume Down‘ buttons together for around ten seconds. HTC phone users will need to choose ‘Fastboost‘ with the volume down key and press power to choose it.
- Now connect your phone to the computer using a USB cable.
- On your computer, go to the folder where you’ve installed ADB, press Shift and Right Click on an empty area. Select ‘Open a Command Prompt Here’. Now run the following command:
- You will get a serial number in return.
- Now to flash the TWRP, run the following command:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- You will then see a success message in the command prompt window.
- Unplug your phone from the computer and using the volume down key, select ‘Recovery‘ option in your bootloader. Depending on your particular phone, you will need to press the volume up or the power button to select the recovery option. Your phone will then reboot into TWRP.
- Enter your PIN or password if asked.
- You might be asked if you want to use it in ‘Read only’ mode. If you select ‘Read Only mode’ then TWRP will exist on your phone only until you reboot it. This way, TWRP would not change your system permanently, which will be advisable for people who do not have a lot of technical know how.
Do NOT Forget to Make a Backup:
- And you are all done. You have successfully the TWRP recovery environment to your android phone!
- You will now see a TWRP home screen which will show you a list of options.
- Select the ‘Backup‘ option. Then tick the checkboxes ‘Boot‘, ‘System‘ and ‘Data‘. Now swipe the bar at the bottom that says ‘Swipe to Backup‘. The backup will take time.