In this tutorial, we will be showing you how you can transfer files from your Android device to a macOS using the tool called OpenMTP. The pair formed between Android devices Mac operating systems has always been a hectic one. When trying to transfer files between an Android device and a Windows PC, users do not face any major issue. But the case is not the same with Mac operating systems. Windows is meant to mount and access the Android file system automatically for any Android device connected to it but things are different with a Mac.
Google, the creators of Android has created an official utility tool for Mac systems called the Android File Transfer. But the thing is, it is not good enough. The tool does not offer various basic functions and features. Furthermore, Google does not update it very often and now it is outdated. In addition to this, it is full of bugs and has certain restrictions that do not allow you to share files that take up more than 4 GB in storage.
An alternative tool to the Android File Transfer is the OpenMTP. Instead of using wireless features such as Wi-Fi or Bluetooth or even ADB tools, the OpenMTP tool uses a USB data cable to carry out data transmissions at high speeds without any interference or interruption. Various other tools are also available for data transferring, such as Handshaker, Portal or CommanderOne but the problem is that users need to pay in order to use them. This is where the OpenMTP tool comes in because it is completely free of cost. This is one of the main reasons that this tool is the first choice of many users.
OpenMTP – Features:
Below listed, are some of the important features of the OpenMTP tool that makes it very convenient to use and is recommended by us over the other tools available:
- Easy and instant USB connection using MTP
- Connect via USB cable – Highest data transfer rates
- Transfer multiple files larger than 4GB in one go
- Drag and Drop your files
- Choose between Grid and List views
- Use Keyboard Shortcuts to navigate through your files
- The main feature, it is completely free to use!
ALSO READ: Download Android USB Drivers
Have a look!
Below provided are some images of the OpenMTP user interface while it is connected to a Google Pixel 4 XL:
The latest OpenMTP download link is provided to you below. This version can run on any MacOS running macOS 10.10 or newer.
Compared to the other file transfer tools available, OpenMTP is very stable and free of bugs. But some problems are caused due to Samsung phones as they cause connection problems between data transfers. We have listed some steps you can follow in order to fix connection problems caused by phones while you are trying to connect your Samsung device to OpenMTP:
- Quit or remove the Android File Transfer app (by Google)
- Disable other files transfer apps, if installed
- Unlock your Android device when connected to your Mac
- Enable “Files Transfer” mode on your device and click the ‘Refresh’ button
- Change USB cable or use a high-quality cable built for data transfers
- If you tried everything above, simply disconnect and reconnect your device
We hope that you found this article helpful. If you have any queries or questions, reach us below.