In this tutorial, we will show you how you can restore OxygenOS firmware on OnePlus 8T back. The latest addition to the OnePlus lineup was the OnePlus 8T, with it’s killer specs and reasonable price tag, it is definitely a flagship killer. Coming with an octa-core Snapdragon 865 chipset, up to 12GB RAM, and an Adreno 650 GPU, it is one of the best devices available out in the mobile phone market. Further, the device also comes out of the box with the latest OxygenOS 11 firmware which is based on Android 11. Similarly, it also features a quad camera worthy of praise and a selfie camera at the same lines.
Just like every other OnePlus device available out there, the OnePlus 8T has also stepped into the world of custom development. That another reason to add to the list of why users love this brand. As soon as you have your OnePlus 8T’s bootloader unlocked, you can do many customizations to your device. You will be able to flash custom ROMs on your device along with custom recoveries to install them, such as TWRP. On the same lines you could also root your phone using magisk and gain administrative control over your device.
Along with all of the benefits that these tweaks bring, they also carry some risks. If worse comes to worst, you could end up with a hard bricked device. If you ever find yourself in this situation, then this post is here to help you. You can solve this problem by reverting back to official OxygenOS firmware. So in this post, we will be telling you how to restore OxygenOS firmware back on OnePlus 8T. Read on!
Unbrick Tool: How to Restore OxygenOS firmware on OnePlus 8T
If your device gets soft bricked or bootlooped, then you can easily deal with this problem. But if you are one of those unfortunate users who end up with their devices hardbricked, you may find yourself in hot waters. But do not worry, there is a way you can get your device up and working again. Every device that has the underlying Qualcomm chipset comes with an Emergency Download Mode, and the OnePlus 8T is among them too.
Further, there is also the unbricking tool that was used by the company internally to unbrick devices and carry out other developments, called the MSM Download Tool. However, the tool soon found its way into the hands of the public due to an accidental leak. Therefore in this tutorial, we will be making use of the MSM Download tool paired up with the EDL Mode to restore the OxygenOS firmware on OnePlus 8T device. Furthermore, you can also use the same steps to revert back to an older version of OxygenOS on your device.
To start with, you need to download the file corresponding to your region from the links provided below. The credit for these files goes to XDA developer Some_Random_Username.
- KB05AA tools (International firmware)
ANDROID 11: OOS 11.0 | OOS 126.96.36.199
- KB05BA tools (European firmware)
ANDROID 11: OOS 11.0 | OOS 188.8.131.52
- KB05DA tools (Indian firmware):
ANDROID 11: OOS 11.0| OOS 184.108.40.206
If you are thinking about cross flashing, that is flashing firmware for some other region while living in an other, well it does not seem to break the persist partition of your device. But we suggest you do not try it just to be on the safer side. But if you do want to cross flash, then you should better take a backup of the persist partition before flashing the firmware file. You can do this by using the following command: dd if=/mnt/vendor/persist of=/sdcard/persist.img. You need to make sure that your device is rooted. Follow our guide: Root via Magisk
That’s all the requirements. You may now proceed with the steps to restore the OxygenOS firmware on OnePlus 8T device.
STEP 1: Setting up the MSM Download Tool
- First, you need to launch the MSM Download Tool V4.0 on your computer.
- Then you will be able to see a dialog box appear on your screen. There you need to select others from the User Type section and then click on Next.
- Then you should be able to see the main screen of the tool. Click on Target and a drop box will open.
- If you are using the international tool, then click on O2, if you are using the Indian version, click on India or click on EU if you are using the European tool.
- Finally, hit the start button.
After this, your tool will be up and running with the proper settings. Now it is time that you restore OxygenOS firmware on OnePlus 8T by heading over the instructions given below.
STEP 2: Restore the OxygenOS Firmware onto OnePlus 8T
- First, you need to switch off your device for about a minute.
- Then in order to boot your device into the EDL mode, press and hold the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons together for a few seconds.
- While you are pressing these two keys, connect your OnePlus 8T to your PC using a USB cable. You may leave the volume buttons only when your device is properly connected.
- This will initiate the flashing process, which will take a few minutes.
- As soon as the process is completed, your device will automatically boot back into the original OxygenOS firmware.
That is it from our side. These were the steps to restore OxygenOS firmware on OnePlus 8T device. If you faced any difficulties or have some questions, feel free to ask us in the comment section below.