This guide is how to root Xiaomi Mi A2 and A2 Lite. Before going ahead, please note that first we’ll install TWRP recovery on these devices and after we’ll start the rooting process.
You’ll be happy to know that the latest version of a TWRP recovery is now available for Xiaomi Mi A2/A2 Lite. Thanks to TingyiChen (XDA Senior Member) and the official TWRP team, for providing TWRP recovery for Xiaomi Mi A2 (codename: jasmine) and Mi A2 Lite (codename: daisy). So you can now get root access by flashing Magisk and then can install custom ROMs, third-party apps and a lot of tweaks etc. Follow the given step-by-step guide to install TWRP recovery and how to root Xiaomi Mi A2 or A2 Lite.
Xaiomi released Xiaom Mi A2 and A2 Lite a few months ago after the Mi A1. It is also part of Google’s Android One program, it means that it runs stock Android OS without any manufacturer modifications and offers a clean, stock Android experience to the users. Xiaomi Mi A2 and A2 Lite comes with good hardware specifications and run Android Oreo 8.1 out-of-the-box. The good thing is that you can now upgrade them to Android Pie too.
As we have mentioned above, rooting the Xiaomi Mi A2 and A2 Lite is a 3-step process.
It basically involves:
- 1. Unlocking the bootloader
- 2. Flashing TWRP recovery
- 3. Flashing Magisk to root Xiaomi Mi A2/A2 Lite.
Please note that you can use this guide for the Xiaomi Mi A2 and A2 Lite only. Do not try to flash this firmware on any other devices or incorrect variants.
AndroidBlog.gs will not responsible for any kind of damage occurred to your Xiaomi Mi A2 and A2 during or after the rooting process. Rooting will void the warranty of your device. Proceed at your own risk.
Take a look on the pre-requirement section below before proceeding to the given guide to root Xiaomi Mi A2 and A2.
- We strongly recommend taking the full backup of all your important data like SMS, contacts, and media files etc. You can follow this guide to backup your data quickly.
- Download and install the latest USB drivers.
- Enable USB debugging on Xiaomi Mi A2 and A2: Navigate to the device ‘Settings’ -> ‘About phone’ -> ‘Software information’. Tap on the ‘Build Number’ continuously until ‘Developer mode has been enabled.’ message appears on the screen.
- Make sure that the battery level of your phone about 70% to 80% to avoid unexpected shutting down during the process.
- Also, enable OEM Unlocking in Developer Options. Go to ‘Settings’ -> ‘Aditional settings’ and tap on ‘Developer options’. Scroll down and enable the ‘OEM Unlock’ toggle.
- Please note that you will need to unlock the bootloader of your device first to install TWRP and Root them. If you’re not sure how to do it, then follow this tutorial.
- Install Android platform-tools on your PC. You can download Minimal ADB and Fastboot tool.
- TWRP Recovery for Xiaomi Mi A2 (jasmine):
- TWRP Recovery for Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite (daisy):
- Forced Encryption Disabler: Disable-Force-Encryption-Treble.zip
- Latest Magisk Installer zip: Magisk-v18.0.zip
Steps: How to Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi A2 or A2 Lite
You may already know that the Xiaomi Mi A2 and A2 Lite has A/B partition system. So, you’ll need to boot the TWRP recovery img on your phone first. After booting, you can easily flash the TWRP installer zip to permanently install TWRP recovery on Mi A2/A2 Lite. Now go ahead to the installation process.
1. First of all, download TWRP recovery img and installer zip for your Mi A2 or A2 Lite from the above links.
2. Move the downloaded files to the adb and fastboot binaries folder (e.g. C:\adb)
3. Open PowerShell Window by holding the SHIFT key, right-click in an empty space inside the folder.
4. Turn OFF Xiaomi Mi A2/A2 Lite completely.
5. Boot your phone into Fastboot Mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down + Power buttons at the same time.
6. Now, connect your Mi A2 or A2 Lite to the PC using its USB data cable.
7. Type the following command and hit Enter to temporarily boot TWRP recovery img:
- For Xiaomi Mi A2:
fastboot boot TWRP-3.2.3-jasmine-20181201.img
- For Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite:
fastboot boot twrp-3.2.3-0-daisy.img
8. After entering the command, your phone should enter TWRP recovery
9. While your device is now in TWRP, navigate to ‘Advanced’ > ‘ADB Sideload’ and swipe the button on the bottom.
10. Tye the following command and hit Enter to sideload and permanently install TWRP recovery on Xiaomi.
- For Mi A2:
adb sideload twrp-installer-jasmine-3.2.3.zip
- For Mi A2 Lite:
adb sideload twrp-installer-daisy-3.2.3-0.zip
One the installation process completes, start using TWRP to root the phone, flash ROMs and third-party apps etc.
Steps: How to Root Xiaomi Mi A2 or A2 Lite
1. First, download the latest Magisk 18.0 zip package on your computer.
2. Now, connect Mi A2 or A2 Lite to the computer using its USB data cable.
3. Move the downloaded Magisk zip file to the internal storage of your phone.
4. Disconnect the phone and turn it OFF completely.
5. Boot your Mi A2 device into TWRP recovery mode by holding the Volume Up + Power keys altogether.
6. While your phone is now in TWRP, tap on the ‘Install’ button and choose the ‘Magisk-v18.0.zip’ file
7. Next, swipe the button to flash Magisk and root Xiaomi Mi A2/A2 Lite.
8. After the rooting process completes successfully, tap on the ‘Reboot System’ button.
These were the complete steps to install TWRP recovery and how to root Xiaomi Mi A2/A2 Lite.
Once the device boots, set it up by following the on-screen instructions. Now you can check Magisk Manager among other apps.
You can also verify either your device is properly rooted or not, download and install Root Checker app from the Play Store. You can now install root-enabled apps, Magisk modules and add a lot of extra features on your device.
Let us know in the comments area below if you have any issues or question regarding how to root Xiaomi Mi A2 or A2 Lite.